Samoon Ahmad, M.D.
Professor of Psychiatry, NYU Grossman School of Medicine
Co-Author of “Medical Marijuana: A Clinical Handbook“
A practicing physician for over twenty years, Dr. Ahmad has dedicated his professional life to helping individuals find balance in their mental and physical well-being. He founded the Integrative Center for Wellness to execute his innovative vision of incorporating psychiatric treatments with nutritional therapies to emphasize wellness of both the body and the mind. He specializes in treating patients with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, ADHD, stuttering and weight management issues.
Expertise & Specialties
Dr. Ahmad is well-regarded for his proficiency in treating patients with all types of psychiatric disorders, including extensive expertise in bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety disorders, ADHD, weight management, stuttering, and smoking cessation.
Concept & Vision
Dr. Ahmad’s clinical philosophy is reflective of the wisdom of the Greek physician Hippocrates: it is more important to know what person the disease has than what disease the person has.
“Effective treatment requires a deep understanding of an individual’s genetics and environment.”
Samoon Ahmad, MD
Experience and more
- 2013 – America’s Top Psychiatrists: Psychiatry and Obesity. Awarded by Consumers’ Research Council of America.
- 2012 – America’s Top Psychiatrists: Anxiety and Mood Disorders. Awarded by Consumers’ Research Council of America.
- 2011 – America’s Top Psychiatrists: Psychopharmocology and Weight Management. Awarded by Consumers’ Research Council of America.
- 2007 – Frank Ochberg Award for Media and Trauma Study: An award given by the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies for Dr. Ahmad’s film “THE WRATH OF GOD; A FAITH BASED SURVIVAL PARADIGM” and a study on the coping mechanisms and related post-traumatic stress disorder in the October 2005 earthquake survivors in Kashmir and Pakistan.
For more info, please click here.
Dr. Ahmad lectures frequently on various topics and can be scheduled for speaking engagements by calling or emailing the office. Lectures can be tailored to meet the needs of the audience. Popular topics Dr. Ahmad has spoken on include:
- The art of wellness in the 21st century: personal goals and cultural clash.
- Metabolic abnormalities and weight management.
- New insights in the treatment of bipolar depression.
- Urgency for accurate diagnosis and effective treatment in bipolar disorder.
- Obstacles in the treatment of schizophrenia: overcoming fear and prejudice.
- An integrative approach in the treatment of psychiatric illnesses.
- Treatment of medical co-morbidities in psychiatric disorders.
- The Wrath of God (A faith based survival paradigm); a film and presentation on the aftermath of earthquake in Pakistan. Studying the resilience and prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and anxiety.
- Course Series “Practical Application of Second Generation Antipsychotics,” 4 hours
- Metabolic Findings/Syndrome, “A comprehensive Perspective Based on Interaction Between Obesity, Diabetes, and Inflammation,” 2 hours
Sixth Edition of Kaplan & Sadock’s Pocket Handbook of Clinical Psychiatry, co-authored by Samoon Ahmad, MD now available on Amazon.
February 2018 – Journal of Psychiatric Research, Independence of diabetes and obesity in adults with mental illness. Findings: from a large urban public hospital.
- Contributing Author: On Call Psychiatry (W.B. Saunders Co.): Anxiety Disorder.
- Assistant to the Editor: Kaplan and Sadock’s, Synopsis of Psychiatry (Ninth Edition).
- Contributing Editor: Kaplan and Sadock’s, Pocket Handbook of Clinical Psychiatry (Fourth Edition).
- Contributing Editor: Kaplan and Sadock’s, Concise Textbook of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (First Edition).
- Consulting Editor: Kaplan and Sadock’s, Concise Textbook of Clinical Psychiatry (Third Edition).
- Contributing Author: Kaplan and Sadock’s, Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry (Ninth Edition).
- Contributing Author: Clinical Addiction Psychiatry by David Brizer and Ricardo Castaneda. (First Edition). Suicide and Substance Abuse.
- Ahmad, S., Feder, A. (2010). Earthquake Impact in a Remote South Asian Population: Psychosocial Factors and Posttraumatic Symptoms. Journal of Traumatic Stress, June 2010, Volume 23, Issue 3, Pages 408-412.
Disaster Relief for Kids, a non-profit organization
Dr. Ahmad is the founder and president of Disaster Relief for Kids, a non-profit organization that helps children in disaster stricken areas of the world.
Filmmaking & Photography
Dr. Ahmad’s interest in photography led him to shoot and direct a short film in the Earthquake region of Kashmir in Pakistan. Not trained as a professional filmmaker, yet as a one-person team, he interviewed, videotaped and photographed the people of this region to document the impact of disaster on the individuals, families and community there. He brings a unique perspective to report the horrific circumstances and life stories of those impacted by one of the worst disasters known to this region. This work over the past five years has provided material for his lectures and film on post-disaster traumatic experiences and resilience factors.
The Wrath of God: A Faith-Based Survival Paradigm, a film written and directed by Dr. Ahmad on posttraumatic stress disorder in the earthquake survivors in the northwest region of Pakistan, won the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies’ Frank Ochberg Award, and has been shown both nationally and internationally at various medical and media forums. A second movie, The War on Terror, currently in production, is a geopolitical story about the turmoil and terrorism in South Asia. More information on Dr. Ahmad’s current projects can be found on the DRFK website or by clicking here.
Pakistan: Earthquake Survivors
- Clinical Professor in Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN)
Chief Resident: Dept. of Psychiatry, NYU Medical Center 1995-1996
Residency Training: Dept. of Psychiatry, NYU Medical Center 1993-1995
Internships: NYU Medical Center 1992-1993
Medical Education: Allama Iqbal Medical College, Pakistan
Unit Chief and Attending Psychiatrist, Inpatient Psychiatry, Bellevue Hospital Center, New York
American Medical Association
American Psychiatric Association, Distinguished Fellow
American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology
International Associate Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK
International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
Board & Community Organizations
Disaster Relief for Kids, Inc.: Founder and Director.Disaster Relief for Kids (DRFK) is a tax-exempt non-profit organization with a 501 (c) 3 status that travels to areas around the world stricken by natural or human-induced disaster. DRFK provides non-perishable foods, toiletries, blankets, clothing and books for the children of these regions. Other work includes evaluating children for medical and psychiatric issues. While DRFK is not a school or a hospital, it consists of groups of relief workers who want to help children stabilize and rebuild their lives. Activities include health screenings and check-ups, distribution of medication, food and educational tools such as books and school supplies. Comprehensive Disaster Response Services: Volunteer psychiatrist and consultant, 2006-2010 Comprehensive Disaster Response Services is registered since 2006 as a non-profit society for disaster relief and social welfare work in AJK and Pakistan under The Pakistan Societies Registration Act, 1860. The organization was created by Todd Shea after his deployment to Pakistan in October 2005 to assist with the earthquake relief efforts. Seeing great need would exist long after the emergency was over, Todd decided to stay in Pakistan. Todd and CDRS were awarded the Tamgha-i-Eisaar medal from Pakistan and the organization now has over 100 employees and has deployed hundreds of volunteers to serve some of the most deserving communities in Pakistan.